A good quality full-face helmet can save your life in case of any bike wreck. At the end of this article, you can get the links to the Best Full Face Helmets in India.
Unfortunately, in India alone, the number of deaths from road accidents in the year 2017 was 1.4 lacs, in which 33.9% of accidents involving two-wheelers. However, these numbers just saw a marginal improvement in 2018. Still, at least four people die every hour in India because of not wearing a helmet! In 91% of bike accidents, a non-helmet rider gets fatal injuries. The death rate only shows the partial picture, think about the families who get affected by these accidents. A lot of these accidents involve people aging between 20 to 45 years. These are just normal middle-class, job going people who care less about their life.
The most vulnerable part of the body- the head, needs the most protection. Inside the brain- the prefrontal cortex (PFC) inside the frontal lobe (located immediately beneath the forehead) is the most susceptible region of the brain to injury. The frontal lobe, which is responsible for cognitive thinking is one of the most critical parts of the human body. Damage to it can lead to chronic mental illness and even death. This is the reason we are advocating for the full-face helmets. Unlike, half-face helmets that protect only some parts of the head, this will protect every part of your head in case of any mishaps.
Below is a comparison between full-face and half-face helmet in a visual form (since we remember visual representation more than textual):
So, by now, you will be convinced that you should buy a full-face helmet, but what are the attributes that one must look for in a good helmet? Let’s find out.
Above other factors before buying a helmet, you should first look at the quality of the material used to make the helmet (the outer material). The conventional motorcycle helmet has two protective components, an outer shell made from polycarbonate plastic, fiberglass, or Kevlar and a soft thick inner liner usually made of expanded polystyrene or polypropylene “EPS” foam.
In simple words, the material used in helmets varies depending on the pricing and the purpose of the helmet. But you should always buy a helmet which is certified from an authority (usually denoted by marks, in this case, the ISI mark). You can also verify the helmet manufacturer at the BIS website by providing the CM/L code in the “Product Certification – Online information – Application/License related” field. The exteriors should be sturdy and robust, which won’t break or crack even at high-speed collision, thus providing full protection to your head. Make it through the end of this article to know some options for the best full-face helmets in India.
2. Perfect fit
Not everyone has the same head shape and size. Therefore it’s critically important to choose a helmet that fits your head perfectly. Now, what’s a perfect fit? First of all, check the size of your head to select the ideal fit helmet. Use the following instructions to measure your head:
Take a measuring tape and record the circumference of your head- place it just above your eyebrows in front. Try to take measurement twice so that you get the exact number. Usually, different brands have different size guides. So, compare your head size against their buying guide size. If your head size falls between the numbers listed, go for the larger size.
Helmet size guide:
Once you have chosen the helmet of your choice which fits perfectly, check for below fit-checks before fastening the strap:
- The cheek pads should touch your cheeks without pressing uncomfortably.
- There should be no gaps between your temples and the brow pads.
- In the full-face helmet, press on the chin piece. The helmet or face shield should not touch your nose or chin. If it does, it will do so at high wind pressures.
All helmets feel tight at first to meet safety requirements, and foam takes time to adjust according to your head size. Always remember, if your helmet is not tight enough, it will move around on your head, it can be noisy and let in wind & worst of all, it may come off in a crash.
There are a lot of options for visors for helmets. In India, you are going to ride in different light conditions ranging from a bright sunny day to low light night conditions. So which visor exactly should you choose? Well, according to the requirements, you should use a clear visor. The polarised visors can hamper your vision. If you want to avoid the bright sun, then use sunglasses. Visors also protect your face from the dust and winds (to some extent). It maintains the overall aerodynamics of the helmet at high speeds and gives you total protection. Some helmets come with an attached visor.
4. Cushioning Material
Every helmet these days comes with inner cushioning. These cushions will absorb the impact force so that your head doesn’t have to do the same. The interior must wrap your head; the material should be comfortable for your head. For a newly bought helmet, it might feel tight on your head, but that is the perfect fit for it. Don’t worry the cushion will slowly get adjusted to your head size. A full-face helmet provides way more safety than half-face or any other helmets.
Here are our top picks for the best full-face helmets in India for 2019:
1. Steelbird SBA-1 R2K Full Face Helmet with Smoke Visor
Steelbird SBA-1 R2K Full Face Helmet is one of the best helmets from Steelbird. Great ventilation is provided with the helmet. 2 ventilation ducts at the back, 1 at the top as well as n the front. The quality is unmatched, it’s a premium quality helmet. The graphics of the helmet are also very good. It is compact and lightweight, great for long rides. The visor is polarised black to wipe out the beaming sun. A budget-friendly helmet.
Steelbird SBA-1 R2K ISI Certified Full Face Graphic Helmet in Matt Finish with Smoke Visor (M, Black Grey)
- Replaceable and washable Interior
- Graphics helmet- Looks amazing along with the highest safety standards- ISI CM/L 4151 mark.
- Polarised black visor
- Proper Ventilation, ensuring no odor is packed inside the helmet.
- Compact and comfy design.
- Full face helmet for overall head protection.
2. Studds Full Face Helmet Ninja 3G D3
Studds Ninja 3G Full face helmet has 2 options, you can wear it as a full-face helmet or you can also have a flip-up type helmet. Both being available at a budget-friendly price. But we advise you to wear a full-face helmet only since most of the accidents involve injury to the chin and other facial parts. The option provided is good but should not be used much.
The helmet is premium in quality and uses special high impact grade thermoplastic for its outer shell making it very reliable. The visor is scratch resistant and is non-polarised, giving you the perfect vision that you need on the road. This particular variant is also available in XL size (600 millimeters).
- The outer shell is made from special high impact grade of engineering thermoplastic.
- Multi-position articulating optically true polycarbonate visor duly silicon hard coated for scratch resistance properties
- Quick-release chinstrap mechanism for ease of operation and safety
- Flip-up option also available along with full face types.
- Also available in XL (600 millimeters) size
- Non-polarised visor for clear vision on any weather conditions.
3. Vega Off Road OR-D/V-DK_M Motocross Helmet
Vega Off-Road Full Face Helmet is an offroader’s dream. You’ve were given a cool ride, a cool leather jacket, you’re a cool dirt biker and to not disregard a cool personality and you start to wonder, “which helmet would be cool?” The answer is simple; it’s the Off-Road.
The helmet has built-in goggles. The helmet comes with a detachable, washable interior. There are traction plates at the sides for goggle strap retention (for goggle worn above the helmet). Helmet harbors rear-mounted dual-port exhaust vents for airflow. Total ventilation channeled right through the interior for maximum airflow.
- Off road aggressive look along with best in class protection.
- Has in-built goggles, no need to buy sunglasses. It's already been taken care of.
- The ventilation provided is great, 2 ducts behind the helmet. Also, the mouth guard has ventilation provided along with dust protection.
- ISI approved helmet.
- Premium look and feel
- It is not too heavy, perfect for long rides.
- Superior fit and comfort provided the use of advanced CAD technology
- Vents with high capacity intakes, 2 side vents, 1 mouth vent, and 4 back exhaust vent
- Airflow from the front to the back which flushes heat and humidity out.
- UV clear finish. Great for Indian weather conditions.
- The only drawback is it can feel big to carry when you are not wearing it. But, this can be ignored since every other thing is great in this helmet.
4. Vega Cliff CLF-LK-L Full Face Helmet
Vega Cliff Full Face Helmet provides to all riders with an excellent quality Cliff Full Face Helmet that guarantees to keep them secure and completely safe all through their adventurous bike trips. The hard ABS outer shell reduces have an effect on and offers extreme toughness and durability.
The visor offers resistance against scratches and damages ensuring that you get an unobstructed view of the road ahead. The compact design of the helmet ensures that the rider gets a comfortable, snug fit and the design ensures that the helmet does not come off easily or fall all through the event of a twist of fate. The helmet is elliptical with a good look. The helmet and visor both are scratch-resistant.
- ISI approved helmet: CM/L 4151.
- One of the best helmets available to buy under low-budget which doesn't compromise with safety!
- Long-lasting helmet, the total value for money!
- Clear visor (good for Indian weather!). To protect yourself from the beaming sun, wear sunglasses.
- Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene outer shell for the best overall protection.
- Ventilation: 1 front vent, 2 back vents
- Scratch-resistant Helmet and Visor
- Snug fit and compact design
- Lightweight, good for long rides. Doesn't strain your head.
- The Visor is an optical polycarbonate.
- It comes with easy fitting visors.
5. Steelbird SBA-2 7WINGS Full Face Helmet In Matt Finish with Tinted Visor
Steelbird SBA-2 7WINGS Full Face Helmet is one of the best helmets available in the Indian market- High impact ABS material shell for total protection. It has a best-in-class ventilation system, the Air Booster System. The chin guard is also equipped with an air intake, two rear extractors recycling the air inside the helmet. The Micro-Metric Buckle meets the European Standards.
The internal padding is removable and washable so that helmet stays fresh even after years! The helmet is lightweight so it won’t feel heavy while riding, great for long rides. A polarised visor will save your eyes from the beaming Indian sun. Overall, a great budget-friendly helmet.
Steelbird SBA-2 7WINGS Full Face Helmet In Matt Finish Helmet Fitted with Clear Visor and Extra Gold Visor (Large 600 mm…
- High Impact ABS outer shell material.
- 2 Rear extractors recycling air, well-ventilated helmet with air intake at chin guard.
- Removable and washable internal padding.
- Polarised visor, Quick open visor
- Compact design.
- Lightweight helmet, good for long rides.
- ISI certified- CM/L 4151.
6. Steelbird SBA-1 Robotics Full Face Helmet in Matt Finish
Steelbird SBA-1 Robotics Full Face Helmet has Multi-layer EPS (Thermocol) High Density for more Safety with Air Channels. Micro-Metric Buckle meeting European Standards. The ventilation of the helmet’s upper part uses the Air Booster system. Cutting edge ventilation system is equipped with an air intake within the chin guard, an air intake within the frontal & most sensible area and two rear extractors recycling air throughout the helmet.
Italian Design Hygienic Interior With Multi-pore Breathable Padding Neck Protector for Extra Comfort Padding Poly-carbonate Anti Scratch Coated Visor Quick Unlock Visor mechanism Kit. It also has an Odourless Mouth Guard.
Steelbird SBA-1 Robotics Full Face Helmet in Matt Finish (Medium 580 MM, Matt Black/Blue Helmet Fitted with Clear Visor…
- High Impact ABS Material Shell.
- Quick Unlock Micro Metric Buckle
- Multi-pore Breathable Padding Neck Protector
- ISI Certified.
- Air Booster System, a best in class ventilation system inside the helmet.
- Quick Release anti-scratch equipped Visor.
- Neck Protector For Extra Comfort.
- Compact design, it will surely fit inside the boot space of a scooter.
7. Vega Crux DX Full Face Helmet
For those of you who are looking for a helmet with no bling and are going in for the typical biker look, get a Vega Crux DX! It sets the record of being the lightest Full Faced helmet in Production. The ventilation is really good on this helmet. It has special ventilation ducts provided on its mouth guard for the proper flow of air inside the helmet. Clear visor, doesn’t hinder the vision of the rider. Premium helmet with a leather finishing touch. The quality of the helmet is unmatched and the off-road look adds the cherry on top of it.
- Comes with Flip-up option, leather finish touch,
- Off-road look, great for passionate riders especially.
- Easy visor fitting, smooth function for flip-up action. Non-polarised visor for clear vision in every weather condition.
- Proper ventilation is provided for airflow inside the helmet.
- ISI approved Helmet.
- One of the Lightest weight helmet, perfect for long rides.
- Compact and easily fits inside the scooter trunk.
- It comes with a One year warranty.
8. Steelbird SBA-1 Full Face Helmet In Matt Finish with Smoke Visor
Steelbird SBA-1 Full Face Helmet has High Affect ABS Subject material Shell. It has Multi layer EPS (Thermocol) interior for protection of soft tissues of the head. High Density and occasional density for more Safety with Air Channels. The buckle provided is a Micro-Metric Buckle meeting European Standards.
The ventilation of the helmet’s upper part uses the “Air Booster” system which is a Cutting edge ventilation system. It is also equipped with an air intake within the chin guard, an air intake within the frontal area and two rear extractors recycling air within the helmet. The ventilation inside is optimum. Italian Design Hygenic Interior with Multipore breathable Padding. Also equipped with Neck Protector for additional comfort. Polycarbonate Anti Scratch Coated Visor. It comes with a Quick Unlock Visor mechanism Kit. Also, it has an Odourless mouth guard, so bye-bye odor inside the helmet!
Steelbird SBA-1 Mahadev Full Face Helmet in Matt Finish Helmet Fitted with Clear Visor and Extra Smoke Visor (Large 600…
- Multi-layer EPS (Thermocol) interior providing the best protection to the head.
- Micro-Metric Buckle meeting European Standards
- For Ventilation "Air Booster" system is there.
- equipped with Neck Protector
- Quick Unlock Visor mechanism Kit
- Polarised smoky visor.
- Graphic helmet.
- High Affect ABS Subject material Shell
- High-Density outer shell material for more Safety with Air Channels.
Ride safely on the road. Helmets are necessary even for short rides also. If you have a pillion rider then make sure they are also wearing a helmet, after all, you should take responsibility for your loved ones.
Trust us, buying a good full helmet would be one of the best investments done by you. Enjoy bike riding but with safety.